Honor Your Nature and Honor Your Body
From Dr. Manisha Kshirsagar
Spring is upon us! Mother Nature is shifting her energy from cold to warm, and we are now in a period that Ayurveda calls “Ritu Sandhi.” Ritu Sandhi occurs twice in the year, in both the spring and fall, and is an ideal time honor that shift in nature, as well as understand and aid the purifying physiological changes in our body’s innate nature.
Now is the time to notice these changes and take action for health. Because….. if we don’t honor our body then we start feeling some imbalances.
For most of us, winter was filled with cold weather, and our bodies tended to accumulate Kapha. (Though those Christmas treats may have been worth the trade….). As soon as spring hits, when sun starts to move towards the Northern direction and days start getting longer the Kapha in our bodies starts to melt causing imbalances. This, in combination with an increase in the pollen with blooming season, results in colds, congestion, sneezing and allergies.
To prevent these imbalances, we should boost our immune system by cleansing. According to Ayurveda, panchakarma (detox program) is the best thing to avoid imbalances and remove excess Kapha and ama (toxic substances), which are stagnated from winter.
Use these simple Remedies to boost your Immune system:
- Drink 1-cup (8 oz) warm water with 1/4 tsp. grated ginger on empty stomach (preferably at least 30 minutes prior to eating)
2. Do Self massage (Abhyanga) with warm Herbal oil/kapha pacifying oil
3. Eat a kapha-pacifying diet (light, WARM, bitter, pungent foods, MORE greens and cruciferous vegetables)
4. Use warming or Kapha pacifying spices. (Black pepper, Ginger, Cumin, Turmeric, or sprinkle on our Kapha Spice)
5. For the really gung ho- Do Nasya or, use that Neti Pot, or practice Pranayama
6. Liquid fast or Fruit fast once a week.
7. Take extra rest on your menstrual cycle.
8. Drink this Detox Tea:
- 1 tea spoon dried Lemongrass
- 1/2 tea spoon dried Holy Basil
- 1 tea spoon dried dandelion
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Ginger
- ½ teaspoon dried peppermint
- 1 Quart of water
How to make it:
- Boil water
- Add all herbs and mix into water
- Simmer 10 minutes
- Strain into thermos
- Drink through out the day
Wishing you a wonderful Spring Cleanse!